Monday 31 January 2011

Advertising with the physical.


The other day I took this photograph in Bradford on Great Horton Road, just up from the University, the image caught my eye, as I am sure you can imagine, and thought maybe someone had chained a rather large tyre to a ‘No stopping except buses’ sign to retrieve at a later date, more convenient for themselves, however I noticed, sadly, that this was just a means of advertising for the new and part worn tyre business down the cobbled road. We all know this, and it is clear when walking or driving around anywhere, of the power of advertising and how subtle it can be, however this time the power of the not so subtle advertising didn’t work on me, unless I was in search for a cheap set of boots for my car, maybe I see things differently or perhaps I just expect more from the eccentrics that inhabit Bradford, better luck next time.

Having revisited this blog and also gaining knowlwndge from the lectures within the visual communication module I will address the composition, something I did not include in the initial posting nor was really obvious to me at the time; the photography has 3 clear bands, and as I say only really noticed as we have very recently discussed the segments of paintings giving the impression of depth or distance. The darkness of the road although tarmac is black has a dark blue hue to it and compliments the sky almost taking up the same amount of space within the picture and then amidst this relative calm and uniform expanse is this visual cacophony of 'stuff' that the eye can move up and down from, almost breathing space before having another look.

The kind comment left by one of my class mates also nade reference to the blues, though left a while ago, has triggered this addition.

1 comment:

  1. apparently my comment didn't go up lol, what i said if i can recall is that I really like this image! and that we shouldn't expect to much from the Bradfordians hehe I think the composition is really nice and balanced and the sort of pale cool and calm colours are very effective :D

    ReplyDelete